Purpose is at the core of our lives. It is the spirit that guides us, propels us, and motivates us.
Purpose has been defined as our reason for living, the basis for which something exists, a goal, desire, or aim, an intention, decision, or resolution. For centuries, we have attempted to define purpose, find its essence, and apply it to our lives. Its true value often eludes us and seems to fall from our grasp. I think that is because as we go through life and our circumstances change, our purpose changes.
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.
My challenge is to live a life of purpose. I have decided that to accomplish this I must know what that means for me. Earlier I wrote a blog, FIND YOUR PASSION. It’s hard to know what should come first – knowing my passion or my purpose. But I have decided that for me, they go hand in hand.
You have to find your purpose, what that means for you in the here and now, then determine to follow it. Listen to your heart.
- Set aside a time and place where you can relax and think about your life
- Make a list of 5 things that you love to do, that excite and inspire you
- Make a list of 10 of your talents , skills, and abilities
- List 5 things you have done to help others
- List 5 things that you would you do if you could do anything
- Recall your passions – what excites you, sparks your creativity
- Recall what people say to you – what kinds of compliments do they give you
- What would you regret never having done with your life
Use the above reflection to decide your purpose in life. And know that as you grow, your life purpose may change.
Life is a journey and each step may lead you to a place where you need to reexamine and redefine your purpose. That’s okay. No need to worry or feel failure.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.